Sector: ICT Services
Project: Monitoring and Help Desk Services
Solution: Assessment and supply of support team
The client company's objective was to increase the level of quality offered by the 24H network monitoring and Help Desk services, both already operational for some years, so as to create added value for other departments and related services. To achieve this objective, the client planned activities aimed at the following:
- controlling allocations designed for the specific business activity, by activating a contract with agreed service levels (SLA)
- reducing the number of partners involved in order to standardize work contracts, reduce staff rotation and increase operators' level of professionalism
- maintaining the organizational control of the service and acquiring a suitable level of operations auditing by the managers themselves, with the development of an independent work group, planned and coordinated by specific figures such as a Delivery Coordinator and a Service Manager
- re-examining the main processes concerned in this area (incident & change) based on the ITIL© framework
Beta 80 Group carried out consultancy activities to analyze the client's IT Operations, aimed in particular at an assessment of the monitoring/help desk processes and functions. The activity went on to supply the monitoring and help desk with a support team. Subsequently, the service was integrated by a special evolution in the help desk area. The team carried out some specific tasks such as the following:
- managing both alarms that come to the monitoring console and signals arriving by email or telephone to the help desk from customers, suppliers or others.
- operating 24/7 for 365 days a year to detect and signal events, enabling the breakdown to be repaired in as short a time as possible. Operators carry out registration of the alarms in a way that will favour problem-solving by higher levels
- "classifying" the problems in a consistent manner during the dispatching phase
- performing help desk activities in the night from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. and on Saturdays and public holidays, when the help desk is not manned
- supplying second level support from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. every weekday of the year. The service manages the majority of requests forwarded by email and telephone, which are dealt with by means of the Trouble Ticketing tool
- following the request until it is taken up by a higher level structure and keeping a correct track of it.
With the support team coming into operation, the client obtained the following benefits:
- control of costs and investment forecast, governed by a "service standard"
- improvement of 24/7 monitoring and help desk services
- startup of empowering process for individual operators, with times for mentoring or specific training sessions
- attention to the real containment of dedicated staff rotation
- improvement in the quality of service supplied with the guarantee of shifts being covered
- improvement in individual and group skills by continuous training
- monthly production of a client dossier (management report) comprising service levels, performance indicators (KPI), and discussion points
- gradual shift to a service logic.